Picnics are generally organised for the first Sunday of every month, with the following upcoming dates:
- 10 February 2019 – Arbor Day Picnic
- 2 & 3 March 2019 – Clean Up Australia Weekend
- 7 April 2019 – Youth Week Picnic
- 5 May 2019 – Permaculture Picnic
- 9 June 2019 – Theme: Eco-Picnic & the Gardens’ 9th Birthday!
- 7 July 2019 – Theme: NAIDOC Week: Voice. Treaty. Truth.
- 4 August 2019 – National Tree Day Picnic
- 1 September 2019 – Children’s Spring Picnic
- 6 October 2019 – Pink Picnic
- 3 November 2019 – Great Northern Picnic
- 1 December 2019 – Picnic of Inspiration
Please Note: If it is raining leading-up to a picnic, an event may be postponed. For this reason, we suggest checking the Gardens’ Facebook page for regular updates.
The Picnics are an opportunity for Garden-members and members of the public to gather, relax, and enjoy the ambience of the Garden, and generally include the following:
- A $5.00 Garden Harvest Lunch, including sausage-sizzle, salads, cakes, tea, coffee and more – your $5.00 helps to cover the costs of catering, and fundraising for the Gardens.
- A free Composting Workshop – all attendees who register for the workshop go into the running to win a compost-bin on the day, as well as going into the running to win a worm-farm at the end of the workshop series – both from the Cassowary Coast Regional Council.
- A foraging-tour through the Gardens highlighting regional produce and bushtucker that promote the low food miles tenet.
- Educational and craft workshops, such as palm-frond weaving and making butterfly water-dishes.
- For the Kids: Nature Play with a cubby-house, sand-pit, tyre-crocodile, climbing-equipment, and more!
The Gardens also often partner with other local community groups, giving them the opportunity to promote their causes and work. For more information on our community partnerships, click here.