Here at the Gardens, we hold gardening activities throughout the week, where the curious or committed can join our ‘Get Active Program’ with Garden-Members on the following days:
- Every Tuesday & Thursday 9:00am – 12:00pm,
- and Saturday – 9:00am to 2:00pm
Volunteer Work Opportunity
The Johnstone River Community Gardens are a not-for-profit and community-based Centrelink approved voluntary work organisation.
We currently have the capacity to provide an opportunity for individuals with a range of skills and experience to assist us with our project.
Many hands make light work, and our GAP days often include the following:
- Growing seeds and seedlings in the greenhouse
- Weeding the communal and public plots
- Pruning trees and shrubs
- Mulching garden-beds
- Turning and monitoring the compost
- Painting signs for the Gardens
- Raking and collecting leaves
- Making DIY pallet-furniture, fences, and signage
- Clearing gutters and drains
- Gravelling and paving pathways
- Mowing the (never-ending) grass
- And much more!
Health and Safety
- During the GAP Days, there is access to potable tank-water and toilets.
- For your safety, please wear close-toed footwear, sun-safe clothes, and a wide-brimmed hat.
- The Gardens have sunscreen, insect-repellent, and first-aid kit available on-site.
- The Gardens also provide a light morning-tea of tea, coffee, and biscuits.
- If you are participating on the GAP activity days, please observe any safety signs on-site, or instructions given by a Garden-member, including signing-into the ‘Attendance Register’ for insurance purposes.
- The Gardens will have a comprehensive risk-assessment available online soon.